- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:
- Public Health Specialist – USEFMs Only (All Agencies) (Prevention)
- Open Period:
- 02/02/2023 – 02/16/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- FP – 0550 4
- USD $62,523
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Promotion Potential:
- Promotion Potential Explanation:
- Grade 4 – Grade 4 – None. This is advertised at the Full Performance Level, FP-04 which is equivalent to FSN-11.
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
Dar Es Salaam, TZ
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. PSA hiring mechanism.
• U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- The selectee will be hired under the PSA mechanism. This position has funding for one year with the possibility of an extension.
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (XX weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- 25% or less
- Travel will be required internationally and within Tanzania to review implementation of activities at partner-supported sites.
The incumbent serves as a Public Health Specialist coordinating infection prevention and control (IPC) activities at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) office at the U.S. Embassy in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. The incumbent will work closely with the International Infection Control Program (IICP) within the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP) at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia and also the Division of Global Health Protection (DGHP) in Tanzania. Under the supervision of CDC Tanzania’s Associate Director for Programs, the incumbent will assist CDC Tanzania in all in-country programs (DGHT/DGHP/PMI) and other requests from CDC HQ. The incumbent will also work with partners in the implementation of activities to strengthen and build IPC capacity in Tanzania to prevent and respond to healthcare-associated transmission of diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and antimicrobial resistance (AMR), which are key priorities under the Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA). The incumbent serves as the IPC technical advisor and primary liaison between CDC Tanzania and DHQP/IICP to the Tanzanian Ministry of Health (MoH), other Government of Tanzania ministries, implementing partners, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), collaborating USG agencies, and other CDC programs.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing, implementing, and/or evaluating public health programs and coordinating with international agencies or implementing partners is required, 2 years of these should be experience in working in a clinical health setting. Experience working in IPC in low- and middle-income countries. Additional one year of management experience is required.JOB KNOWLEDGE: In order to support the host Government and implementing partners in the development and strengthening of effective program activities, a professional knowledge foundation in public health is required. This includes a thorough understanding of current infectious disease issues, disease surveillance and reporting, laboratory systems and information systems, and clinical care and treatment. Detailed knowledge of the Tanzanian health care system and structures and familiarity with MoH policies, program priorities, and regulations is required. Must have detailed knowledge of CDC and USG infectious diseases and other public health programs, strategies, methods, processes and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of public health programs is required. A good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Mandatory: An MD/MBBS degree is required.
- LANGUAGE: English-Proficiency in reading/writing/speaking is required. (This may be tested.)EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Passport copy
- High school diploma/Certification/University Diploma (as applicable)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation (if available)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.