Vacancy: Finance Assistant
Embassy of Ireland, Dar es Salaam
Our mission is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic well-being of Ireland and its people. We do this under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and through our Embassy network abroad.
The goal of the Embassy of Ireland is to promote Ireland’s values and interests in Tanzania and across the Great Lakes sub-region, in line with Ireland’s commitment to delivering the Sustainable Development Goals. The Embassy seeks to advance Ireland’s values and interests through support for peace, prosperity and equality, with a focus on women and girls in Tanzania.
The Embassy of Ireland is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join a growing team in the position of Finance Assistant in the Embassy.
Finance Assistant – Overview:
- The candidate will be supported to complete the CPA / ACCA training programme (or other internationally recognised accountancy qualification).
- The contract will be offered on a three-year renewable basis, including a probationary period.
- Competitive salary TSH 43,882,355 annually, including a 13th month, plus health insurance and training opportunities. Salaries are paid direct to a bank account; therefore, the successful candidate must have a bank account.
- Under the direction of the Head of Finance (HOF), work directly with Finance Team to support the achievement of results in the relevant sectors and Embassy business outcomes.
- Support HOF in the day-to-day financial management and control to the financial resources allocated to the Embassy and Aid Programme.
- Support HOF in the timely provision of financial information for reporting to headquarters in Ireland and to the Embassy management.
- Support HOF budget process, ongoing monitoring of expenditure against budget.
- Support HOF in ensuring the Embassy is compliant with the local regulatory system, with particular emphasis on payroll taxes, pension liabilities and VAT.
- Support HOF in ensuring compliance with all financial procedures as prescribed.
- Support HOF in ensuring the risk of fraud is minimised.
- Provide routine technical advice on financial issues (as per the Financial Policy & Procedures Manual) and systems improvements to administration and programme staff.
- Other duties as required from time to time and directed by Head of Finance.
Essential Requirements candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- The candidate must have a Degree in Accounting, finance or business, Postgraduate Degree in Accounting, finance or business or pursuing CPA/ACCA.
- The candidate must have a minimum of three years of relevant experience;
- The candidate must demonstrate experience (through examples) of financial analysis and budget management;
- The candidate must have proven record showing a very high degree of integrity and trust;
- The candidate must be fluent in English;
- The candidate must demonstrate using examples, their working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel); including setting up complex linked spread sheets & using formulae to monitor Budget vs Actual spend;
- Commitment to study or already started study of professional certification in Accounting (ACCA, CIMA or CPA)
- All applicants must have a permanent legal right to reside and work in Tanzania prior to recruitment.
- The candidate must demonstrate using work based examples of providing excellent interpersonal skills, being persuasive, working in a team but also dealing effectively with people in external organisations;
- The candidate must provide evidence of flexibility, efficiency and effectiveness showing strong organizational skills, attention to detail, an ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple tasks;
- The candidate must provide examples of being solutions-oriented, and committed to delivering results, including by adapting approaches if necessary;
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience with SUN System and the Q&A Reporting module will be an added advantage;
- Experience in payroll;
- Previous experience in a diplomatic mission is desirable, but not essential.
Terms and conditions of employment:
- The successful candidates will be hired on a three-year renewable contract;
- Training opportunity to pursue CPA(T)/ACCA qualification may be provided at the discretion of Management;
- Medical Insurance will be provided;
- The salary for the position is TSH 3,375,566 per month paid locally (TSH 43,882,355 annually, including a 13th month). Salary scales are fixed and non-negotiable.
How to apply
The Job Description and Application Form for this position is available on our website.
Completed application forms should be sent via e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Finance Assistant” Application Form: Financial Assistant
Applications must be received before 17:00hrs (local time) on 24 February 2023
CVs or cover letters will not be accepted.
(No applications will be accepted after this deadline) OR (Depending on response rates the deadline may be extended).
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- Depending on the number of applications received, short-listed candidates may be called for a competency-based interview informed by the Essential Requirements above.
- It is planned that interviews will be held before the end of March 2023.
- A skills test may be included in the recruitment process;
- A second and third interview may be included in the recruitment process; and
- A panel may be set up depending on the calibre of candidates;
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff
Police security clearance will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Embassy of Ireland is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.
Discussion about this post