- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:
- Maintenance Mechanic (Plumbing-NEC)
- Open Period:
- 03/02/2023 – 03/16/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1210 6
- TZS TSh24,989,567
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
Dar Es Salaam, TZ
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Summary: The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Mechanic (Plumbing-NEC) in the Facility Management Section.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Occasional Travel
Will complete assigned tasks within the allotted time established in the Collaborative Management Initiative (CMI) service standards, and according to International Building Code (IBC) standards. The incumbent specializes in plumbing and mechanical systems operation and maintenance. Systems include, but are not limited to; water supply and storage, filtration, disinfection and other water treatments, hot water systems and equipment, piping, tubing, fittings and controls, irrigation, domestic plumbing fixtures including waterless urinals, drainage, sanitary systems, on-site sewage treatment, and storm water management.
Operations & Maintenance Support 90%
- Performs preventive maintenance and repairs on plumbing/mechanical systems including: air compressors, fire suppression systems, commercial and domestic toilet facilities, fixtures, valves, piping, domestic water and sump pumps, water supply boosters, water sewage treatment systems, domestic and solar water heaters, fuel pumps, oil-water separators and grease traps to ensure optimal and un-interrupted operation of the mechanical systems. Duties also include maintenance of gutters and roof drains, storm drains, and the irrigation systems as applicable. Responds to scheduled, unscheduled and preventive maintenance work orders generated by the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Identifies and corrects infrastructure and equipment problems by performing plumbing and associated mechanical inspections every day as part of a proactive maintenance plan to maintain facilities and equipment in an efficient operating condition, prevent degradation of property, equipment, and system components, and prevent failures that would cause service interruption. Ensures that all assigned maintenance tasks are carried out promptly as described in the work orders, and in accordance with manufactures repair or replacement requirements. The following systems are part of the incumbent’s responsibility: domestic hot and cold-water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, storm water management systems, chilled water systems, water treatment facilities, swimming pool equipment, fire suppression systems, compressed air systems, and irrigation systems. The incumbent will be required to make repairs using many different types of pipe and fittings such as PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, black, etc.
- Responds to emergency calls during off-duty hours, 24 hours a day / 7 days a week (24/7), when critical systems have stopped functioning, or there is an imminent threat to the life safety of personnel, or structure integrity.
- Assists with monitoring the work of specialty service contractor’s, as delegated, and provides feedback to the Supervisory Building Engineer and/or the Senior Facility Manager concerning the contractor’s quality of work.
- Monitors weekly and monthly water (potable and gray water) system performance to maintain system reliability and provides report on any discrepancies to the Supervisory Building Engineer and the Senior Facility Manager.
- Performs regular checks for consumable material usage. Monitors spare parts and materials inventories and reorders items when low stock levels are reached. The incumbent will provide detailed and concise written reports in English to the Supervisory Building Engineer, the Senior Facility Manager, and upper-level management personnel as required. Ensures proper use of time, tools and materials and that the work areas are kept clean and safe.
Logistic Support 10%
- Collateral duty assignments will be at the discretion of the Supervisory Building Engineer or the Senior Facility Manager. Other assigned duties are to support post activities including relocations, emergency actions, escorting, special Embassy functions, and monitoring contractors on site. The incumbent may be required to assist other Facility Management Locally Employed (LE) Staff and other shops as part of the maintenance team effort on special assignments.
Note: Incumbent serves as an incidental operator of official vehicles and meets all requirements outlined in 14 FAM 433.
**Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working as a journey-level plumber in the repair and maintenance of plumbing/mechanical systems in commercial or industrial facilities is required. Must have experience working with PVC, CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, and black pipe, circulation and well pumps, and water treatment equipment.
- Education Requirements:
- Education: Completion of secondary school is required. Completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbers and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. Training through a recognized apprenticeship program provided by a trade union is considered acceptable.
- Language: Limited knowledge (reading, speaking, and writing) in English is required and Good working knowledge (reading, speaking, and writing) in Kiswahili is required. “This may be tested”
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Valid driver’s license
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Diversity Equality and Inclusion Statement
The US Mission to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania values a workforce of different backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints. We strive to create a welcoming environment for all and we invite applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Benefits: The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• Completion of secondary school is required – Certificate
• Completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbers and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required – Certificate
• Driver’s License
• National ID card – copy
• Proof of Citizenship
• Other Documents (if any)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 16 March 2023.
Discussion about this post