NBC is the oldest serving bank in Tanzania with over five decades of experience. We offer a range of retail, business, corporate and investment banking, wealth management products and services.
Define and execute strategic client plans that will ensure the development of strong business relationships and the delivery of profitable and integrated National Bank of Commerce Ltd products and services, with the purpose of ensuring client profitability, increased revenue, risk optimisation and consistent service delivery for Global Development Organisations (dealing with International Non-Governmental Organisations, Embassies/High Commissions, Multilateral/Development Organisations)
Sales and Service: -55%
- Lead the development and execution of strategic client plans (in collaboration with product partners), managing and driving the implementation of these client plans.
- Grow portfolio value in line with agreed targets. This is achieved through cross sell or up sell by providing a variety of products and services to customers
- Conduct portfolio returns (vs. prior year and budget) analysis, cross sell for portfolio, portfolio, portfolio actual revenue and net profit growth analysis and pro-active management of the portfolio pipeline and activities using the appropriate tools.
- Identify sales and services opportunities and offering solutions appropriate for the customer’s needs
- Develop critical relationships with client decision makers, regularly and proactively defining and communicating commercial opportunities for new and existing clients
- Utilise all customer contact processes, channels and products to develop a better understanding of customer needs
- Work closely with customer service teams, responding to servicing requests and complaints for customers
- Leverage, engage and collaborate with the Bank’s network to ensure that all the Bank’s relevant expertise is brought to bear in every client interaction, robust and stable client service is maintained, client results are delivered and that any impediments to client delivery are overcome through the availability of credible internal resources to build and leverage strong long-term relationships with the client’s key decision makers
- Work proactively with colleagues across the group to support the growth of business through referrals in living the One Bank mantra
- Promote adoption of digital alternative channels to clients
- Continuously research and analyse the clients’ business context, operations and financial performance.
- Coordinate relevant programmes for each client (including thought leadership sessions, entertainment and collaborations on corporate social activities) and participate in key decision making activities by the client to ensure that the Bank is always in the clients’ share of mind.
- Proactively raise the profile and reputation of the Bank in the local community
Business Focus: -20%
- Support in the overall management and coordination of the client relationships and client/sector strategy including the provision of input into the strategic direction and value proposition of the Bank.
- Maintain detailed and current understanding of external markets (at country, sector and client level) to ensure that new opportunities for the Bank are capitalised and threats are quickly identified.
- Maintain a proficient knowledge of products, services and capabilities across the Bank (in all relevant geographies and sectors) to ensure relevant and informed client conversations.
- Drive and own annual budgets together with product houses and monitor actual performance against budget, drive product cross-sell and client profitability.
- Manage overall client cost and revenue including the monthly tracking of revenue contributions per client as well as the understanding of key drivers and variances to proactively respond to threats of reducing opportunity.
- Conduct set routine activities such as weekly/monthly reporting, reviewing of pricing, interest rates, concessions etc.
- Ensure the administration and analysis of the client service surveys, as well as the implementation of focused action plans needed to address the gaps identified.
Risk Focus: -15%
- Understand and apply the relevant governance and compliance procedures to activities undertaken and maintain ongoing completion of relevant governance and compliance training
- Drive and provide input to timeous preparation, review, sign-off and motivation of deal forums, new business committee and credit paper submissions (managing end-to-end credit process including facility letters, security perfection, conditions fulfilment, post sanction monitoring and control etc.) and optimally allocate credit limits and manage exposures across product and geography (where applicable)
- Guide the development and review appropriate documentation to complete annual credit review.
- Monitor and manage credit losses and write-offs, pro-active portfolio management resulting in zero losses in the portfolio (including excess management and facility conditions compliance)
- Act as the “first line of defence” in all risk matters relating clients under the portfolio
- Ongoing review of client base for potential High Risk clients
- Act as escalation point for any identified risks.
People Focus: -10%
- Continuous learning and self-development through training interventions, secondments, on the job training, shadowing et.c.
- Day to day coaching and development of the team i.e. operational bankers, credit/business analysts, peers e.t.c
Role / Person Specification
Education and Experience Required
- B-degree / Advance Diploma / Diploma or Equivalent qualification in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or any other related field
- Other relevant qualifications including post graduate qualifications such as an MSc/MBA is considered a bonus
- At least 5 years of experience in Relationship Management, Credit or Product environment and Client Service (dealing with Global Development Organisations, International Non-Governmental Organisations, Embassies/High Commissions, Multilateral/Development Organisations would be an added advantage)
- Working general knowledge of local and international markets, economies, their drivers, industry dynamics, competitor solutions etc
- An up to date knowledge of banking products across trade, cash management, FX, etc
- An up to date knowledge of local and international multi-sectoral industry trends and dynamics
- Proven experience of managing customer relationships
Knowledge & Skills: (Maximum of 6) and Competencies: (Maximum of 8 competencies)
- Deciding and initiating action
- Learning and researching
- Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking
- Relating and networking
- Adapting and responding to change
- Persuading and influencing
- Creating and innovating
- Strong solutioning, selling and negotiation skills
- Excellent diagnostic skills and rigorous approach to problem solving
- Excellent communication and sound financial skills
- Excellent comprehension skills to understand and interpret industry data and economic trends
- Strong formal presentation skills to gain acceptance to solutions, both internally and externally
- Strong Leadership and team-working skills
- Basic IT and banking system knowledge
Mental & Environmental Demands
Special work requirements:
- Experience in managing Multinational Corporate clients in a reputable organization
- Knowledge of banking and financial environment in Tanzania and overseas
- Commercial or related qualification would be an added advantage
Most complex decision that can be taken without referral to the manager:
- Various as prescribed from time to time
Business change accountability:
- Various as prescribed from time to time
- >=TZS 7.0b Revenues p.a. growing annually
Communication and Interaction required:
Staff in own area
(manager, subordinates, colleagues)
Staff outside own area
(other than staff in own area)
(e.g. Industry Forums/Associations)
Commercial mindset – Junior (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Customer Excellence – Service Delivery (Meets all of the requirements), Digital familiarity (Meets all of the requirements), Effective communication – Basic (Meets all of the requirements), Experience in a similar environment, Higher Diplomas – Business, Commerce and Management Studies, Openness to change (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development), Product and/or Service Knowledge (Meets all of the requirements), Relationship building (Meets some of the requirements and would need further development)
Discussion about this post