Purpose of Role
The SHE Officer support the development, maintenance, implementation and monitoring of Safety Health and Environmental Systems for ekaterra Tea Tanzania within the unit. The SHE Officer will collaboratively deliver this strategy through simple, effective and scalable systems to proactively mitigate risk and improve our preparedness to keep our staff safe and healthy. S/he will also be responsible for contributing to the response to any situations that do arise, such as staff injury in the field, factory or offices or liaising with local authorities in the aftermath of safety incidents.
- Hold regular (weekly) check-ins with Global SHE to discuss findings and determine necessary safety communications strategy.
- May be required to provide after-hours support on an ad-hoc basis to staff involved in safety incidents.
- Act as a primary or secondary responder to safety incidents involving all staff during office hours, and escalating incident response management to SHE & Site leadership when necessary.
- Complete safety assessment checklists and develop recommended risk mitigation measures with some guidance from both local Global SHE leadership.
- Ensure the implementation of safety and compliance at all office/residence locations
- Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly & annual safety updates to ekaterra Tea Tanzania (eTT) SHE manager and eTT leadership when necessary.
- In coordination with SHE Manager plan the H&S activities, defining the measures required to be implemented on site, in accordance with the legislation, internal policies and OHS Plan.
- Verify with local authorities the conformity with the regulations, the mandatory licenses and reports. Verify the existence and validity of the mandatory H&S documentation of the Subcontractors and all the workers on site.
- Promote the Health and Safety culture among all the workers, disseminating awareness campaigns, making Induction Trainings, Tool-box-Trainings and Emergency Drill Exercises.
- Distribute and/or verify the use of the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and their condition.
- Perform internal H&S inspections and audits, collecting evidence and reporting incidents and nonconformities, searching for continuous improvements of the processes.
- Collect and report periodically the data needed for the H&S KPIs calculations and monitoring.
- Provide First-aid assistance in case of accidents
- Take the necessary measures to maintain the cleanliness and hygiene on the site, preventing and taking care of any possible illness situation affecting eTT employees.
- Participate in emergency and fire-fighting teams in accordance with the specific plans.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Graduate in Food Science, Production Technology, Agricultural, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, BSc Chemistry, Environmental Science, Resource Management, Agriculture or General Science
- Certificate in Safety Management
- NEBOSH Certificate
- 3 years relevant experience.
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in a role that requires action as a first responder to safety incidents.
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields
- 2 to 5 years of working experience in a relevant role preferable on construction projects (preferably in the energy sector), FMCG, Mining industry
- OHS specific trainings, as H&S Techniques, First-aid, Firefighting, SHE reps, NOSC I and NOSCH II
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Management System – ISO 45001
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Used to work with international, multi-cultural teams.
- Good communication skills
- Resilient under stressful conditions and adverse environmental
- Creative problem solving for critical projects/ on site crisis situations.
- Very good planning skills
- Appropriate experience in applying legislation and policies related to Occupational Health and Safety, Healthcare Waste Management and Environmental Health.
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
Discussion about this post