Position Title: Call Center Interpreter
Reports To: Call Center Specialist
Division: Church World Service Africa
Department: Programs, Refugee Communications
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya; Kasulu, Tanzania; Kampala, Uganda; Kigali, Rwanda.
Grade Level: Grade 4, Assistant, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is responsible for providing interpretation services at the RSC Africa Call Center, and translating written materials into the key languages of our refugee populations.
- Maintains high performance standard based on a thorough knowledge of and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM, USCIS, and UNHCR policies and procedures regarding current refugee processing eligibility criteria and USRAP processing.
- Maintains a high level of interpretation and translation language skill and ability for both inbound and outbound calls.
- Provide accurate concepts and explanations with no additions or omissions, and according to conventions of established interpretation protocol.
- Process and impart information swiftly, and relay intentions, emotions and tone in your interpretations.
- Provide clear and exact translations of written materials, and interpretations of verbal communication from English to at least one of the following target languages: Somali, Congolese Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda, Kinyabwisha, Dinka, Massalit, Kinyamulenge, Kibembe, Tigrinya.
- Provide interpretations of questions, answers, statements, arguments, explanations and other forms of verbal communication.
- Rendering sight translations of documents and other written materials.
- Imparting thought, purpose, spirit, emotions and tone of speakers from source language into target language.
- Provide feedback and input to Call Center Representatives/ Supervisor on call quality and how to improve time for calls with interpretations.
- Assist the Call Center Specialist with hiring of other minor language contract interpreters for outbound calls.
- Assist Call Center Specialist with the training of CWS RSC Africa contract interpreters on tips and guides for effective call interpretation.
- Completion of daily activity logs and other documentation.
- Performs additional duties and special assignments as needed to facilitate the efficient operation of the Call Center at RSC Africa, and Programs in general.
- Written and verbal knowledge of at least one of the following main RSC Africa processing languages required. (Somali, Congolese Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda, Kinyabwisha, Dinka, Massalit, Kinyamulenge, Kibembe, Tigrinya).
- 1.5 years’ experience as an Interpreter preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate and real time interpretation. Excellent bilingual communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient with use of office equipment.
- Outstanding listening, retention and note-taking skills.
- Proficient enunciation and pronunciation skills, and pleasant, professional voice.
- Proficient understanding of cultural sensitivity, and ability to collaborate with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated computer skills for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet.
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
Education & Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree required or four (4) years of paid work experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree required.
Valid certificate of accredited interpreting training, or training in interpretation services preferred.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya; Kasulu, Tanzania; Kampala, Uganda; & Kigali, Rwanda.
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- This is a full time position.
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Any other special requirements.
Discussion about this post