A job description is a written statement that describes the employee’s role and responsibilities. The role and responsibilities shall be executed within the NRC framework. The job description facilitates the recruitment process by stating the necessary competencies. It is mandatory for all positions.
Position: WASH Technical Assistant (Water Quality and Supply)
Reports to: WASH Officer- Water Engineer
Supervision of: Incentive workers (none-NRC employees)
Duty station: Nduta/Kibondo
Project number: TZFM2303
Duration and type of contract: 9 months from 1st April (with possibility of extension)
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of WASH projects including proper water supply and ensuring effective planning and quality implementation water treatment and water quality monitoring.
Generic responsibilities (max 10)
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Lead the Pipeline Repair Team in responding to bursts and leakages in the Nduta water supply system.
- Providing technical support laying of pipes and repair of the water reticulation system.
- Provide technical support to Pipeline Repair Team for achievement of quality work.
- Conduct pressure regulations for equitable portable water distribution in the Camp.
- Work out practical ways of ensuring equitable distribution of water in the entire camp.
- Provide a record of all repairs attended to for documentation on a daily basis
- Supervise the repair team members and ensure they are allocated enough work for the day
- To represent NRC in co-ordination meetings with the other IPs, section and block leaders and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other assignment as may be required by the supervisors/WASH Officer/WASH Coordinator.
- Support daily chlorination of water produced in the camp.
- Regularly maintain and operate chemical water treatment process.
- Service and repair of the inline automatic chlorine dosing pumps.
- Ensure regular cleaning of water reservoirs (Ferro-cement tanks and steel tanks).
- Inspection of water treatment systems on daily basis to ensure effective operations.
- Ensures that chlorine solution is prepared in the required percentage and in the right quantities.
- Monitor FRC (Free Residual Chlorine) levels at tap stands and households weekly and records daily information from water quality monitors.
- Conduct follow up cases for the water found to be positive with Feacal coliform (FC) by liaising with the hygiene team to take hygiene messages to the affected families / households.
- Carries out weekly assessment of FRC of each reticulating line tap stands and household levels aimed at maintaining UNHCR standard of 0.5 mg /l at every tap stand and 0.2 mg/l at house hold levels.
- Collect sample for bacteriological analysis on monthly basis and analysis of the samples. Samples for analysis are collected from high risk areas .This includes blocks prone to cholera outbreaks and new influx areas.
- Investigating any water quality related issues raised by daily information provided.
- Design, develop and implement community sensitization sessions in the community to include household visits, focus group discussions (FGDs), and mass hygiene promotion campaigns.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- M&E, Shelter, Camp Management staff
- Logistics, Finance and HR/Admin teams at NRC Kibondo
- Relevant local authorities, peer INGO’s and UN agencies
Scale and scope of position
|Refugee incentive workers (no employees)
|UNHCR, UNICEF, NGOs National and District government, esp. MHA, WASH IPs and other IPs, Host community and Refugee Camp leaders, Refugee community
|Agresso procurement, Intranet, NRC Workplace
|Legal or compliance:
|National Labour law, National staff terms of employment, tender and awards committee for vendors
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as an WASH Assistant or Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, oral and written
- Participate in appropriate professional development of project portfolio
- At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Technical background in Public Health, Civil engineering or water and Environmental engineering or similar relevant discipline.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes at least 3 years’ experience in a humanitarian and development programme preferably with an INGO.
2. Behavioural competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
This position is open only to Tanzania National Only. ‘’Female candidates are encouraged to apply”.
Salary: According to NRC salary scale.